
Island Park! This place has special memories for me. I have gone there every year since I was born, minus the last few years. Tomorrow will be my first time back since my grandpa got sick. It is going to be bitter sweet to camp at the same place that I remember so fondly from my childhood.
My grandpa and Grandma Robinson started this tradition I believe. Every year for our family reunion we would drive hours, on long windy roads, to get to Clay Banks. Grandma and Grandpa would go up a week early to make sure we got "our spot." the whole Robinson crew would be there, some would come up for the day if they couldn't make it the whole weekend. We would eat Peas and Potatoes, play Black Jack, and spend countless mornings fishing. If you weren't up by Grandma's "first call" you were left behind. The boat was pulling out at 6 am whether you were on it or not! The boat came back at about 9 and breakfast would be waiting. Hot pancakes, eggs, and bacon. The kids would be playing on the banks and trying to build sand castles. The moms would be sitting in their lawn chairs watching the kids. We would go tubing and knee boarding in the lake. We would have all of our tents tucked back into a grove of tree's. No worries in the world.
When my Grandpa got sick several years ago, it was to hard for everyone to get there especially him. We stopped going there, and when my Grandpa passed away, I think the memories were just to strong to go back for a while.
For fathers day, my dad decided it was time to go back. This time just our family and my aunt and uncle's family. I am so excited to see how much things have changed, and to see the same place that I played as a kid. I sure miss my Grandpa, but I am so thankful for the memories that we were all able to make with him.
Thank you Grandma and Grandpa, for creating such wonderful traditions, and memories for all of us to hold close to our hearts. And Grandpa, I miss you!

1 comment:
That's so special, have fun!!
Post a Comment